Our homes are our places of rest and happiness, and they deserve to be properly maintained. This means they need to be protected from leaks, pests, structural damage, natural disasters and a lot more. There are many things homeowners need to do to keep their properties whole, but are they affordable and can we DIY all of them during remodeling?
Being a homeowner is not an easy task, you have to take care of the overall condition of the property, and there are tons of tasks associated with that. Doing repairs and home improvements is not a favorite task, but it’s necessary if you want to keep the quality of your investment. If you’re determined to participate in these projects actively, here are some tips to keep in mind during renovations. They will help you create a modern, safe home for your family.
Regardless if it is a bunch of small touch-ups or a major spring/summer renovation, you should start with a plan.
The first thing you need to take into account is that the best and most affordable contractors will be booked first and probably won’t have a suitable slot for a home visit for months ahead.
In this case, planning ahead and looking for the best price and most reliable handyman specialist seems more than relevant, advised Australian Fantastic Handyman Company. Start by making a list of all the closest contractors, then start checking them one by one and writing down their price estimates. This will help you compare the competition and make an informed decision.
Invest In Energy-Saving
To save more energy, you need to think and live green. There are lots of ways to upgrade your household appliances, if you haven’t done it until now, that is.
Buying a new fridge, air conditioning or other household devices with a class A+ or A++ will significantly decrease your energy bills.
Home insulation and noise-cancelling materials are other property enhancements you could take advantage of and stop the large percentage of heat loss during the colder months. Consider this a reasonable investment that will define your future expenses on energy.
When insulating your property, however, don’t forget the parts attached to the property like the garage, basement, or conservatory. If you don’t cold-proof them, your place will lose more heat than the air conditioning generates, and this will result in huge energy bills and great heat loss. Setting up your insulation is not a simple task, as there is a lot of things to take into account. That’s why it’s very important to find top-quality metal building insulation that will bring you the best energy-saving results.
What you should also consider is that energy upgrades cost less during the home renovation than when adding them post-refurbishment.
Consider Alternative Energy Sources
If you’ve already upgraded your household appliances but would like to cut the costs, even more, adding a few renewable energy sources to your home is the next step to take.
Solar panels are a classic eco-friendly home enhancement. So, let’s talk about the different spots you can place the photovoltaic energy sources for your home:
- Solar Awnings. This is a very practical combination, preventing heat from squeezing in your home. They keep different percentages of solar heat off your property’s interior- 77 % for windows situated on the west side of your home and 65% from windows facing south.
- Interior Blinds. These, especially the slat-consistent shades, offer very good protection for your place. The slat type of blinds doesn’t look very dependable, but their flat slats offer flexibility. As opposed to ordinary shades, these can be adjusted in order to let a little natural light in without letting the devastating summer heat in the premises.
- Exterior Blinds. These are generally made of wood, aluminum or vinyl and are, respectively, more resistant to the changing weather conditions outside. When rolled down their slats meet edge by edge and provide a thick shade. If you wish to let a little bit of sunlight in, you can raise them partially. This will leave a slight distance between the slats creating a dappled shade pattern.
- Solar Power. Also, don’t forget about your backyard and patio. You can install solar panels on the ground of any home to run electric lawnmower and other tools. Solar power could also be used to water and light your garden. For a comprehensive view read the full post about solar lights and garden wind spinners.
Easily Avoid Common Mistakes
When you plan small repairs or bigger refurbishments, you should hire a professional, especially if you don’t have the experience and equipment to cope with the task. If not, then afterward you’ll most probably not like the outcome or worse – injure yourself and damage your property. This will automatically increase the budget planned for your home improvements and decrease its market value.
In case you’re hesitant, many handyman service providers will advise you what materials to buy.. What is more, many of these companies offer reasonable prices and a considerable decrease in final payment, if you book more than one service for a visit.
Tackle Small Doable Projects
There are small improvements you could do yourself if you’re more experienced in DIY. And this is, undoubtedly, the best way to save money for other expenses. If you have no idea how to install your new shelves, tiles or how to repaint the walls at home, you can shop for materials.
Whatever you decide, it would be better to talk to the contractors first and schedule the tasks accordingly. This way the home repair, maintenance, or renovation projects happen faster.
Buy Materials Personally
There are thousands of websites for supplies and materials for practically every type of home improvement.
But when you order them over the Internet, there are at least two problems that will definitely occur at some point.
- First, you won’t have the chance to personally check any of the products you’re buying for defects. If you wish to buy furniture or anything of the sort, it would be better to go to the store yourself and take a look at it. This way you’ll be able to see the item and make a reasonable decision on whether it will be suitable for your home.
- Second, ordering household items or maintenance and renovation supplies via website services, often carries the risk you won’t get the right color, size or type of the supplies you ordered. In this case, returning the order seems the only reasonable thing to do.
However, there will definitely be a delay with your home improvement project.
Major Home Improvements
There are a few types of home repair and maintenance tasks you should not even think of tackling, and namely – structural, plumbing, and electrical.
Don’t take this the wrong way- you should have these features of the household regularly inspected in order to prevent major household disasters like a burst pipe. Unless you have the experience and equipment of a dependable trade, you shouldn’t even think of this.
Changing the pipes or an electric circuit often requires more than cutting here and there and fixing this and that. Major plumbing projects include breaking into walls and can cost you thousands when done wrong. Imagine what a tiny mistake might lead to. Moreover, in many countries, there are certain certificates which are required in order for you to cope with this time and effort consuming tasks.